Century Group is a BC-based, family-owned, mixed-use real estate development and construction company in business for 60 years. In addition to development, Century Group owns and manages a diverse portfolio of operating businesses, which includes apartment rentals, retail and commercial leasing, hospitality and seniors living.
Be part of Century Group where our people are engaged in our core values of community, collaboration and creativity.
Century Group Construction Division is now seeking an experiences construction Safety Officer to work closely with the Superintendent and Construction Team at our Langley and Tsawwassen sites.
Reporting to the Safety Manager and working closely with the Superintendent and construction team on a day-to-day basis, you will be responsible for overseeing and administering the CG construction project specific safety program and monitoring safety compliance on the assigned project(s), as directed by the Safety Manager. This position will be located on one of our job sites in Langley or Tsawwassen.
This role will require promotion of Century Group’s safety philosophy and to develop strategies to maintain a safe work environment and highest safety standards according to Century Group’s goals and values. The CSO will support site supervision in the implementation and management of the CG Safety Program on site. Maintain and administrate procedures and processes to ensure the safety of all workers, and will support the education and increase safety awareness encompassing the overall safety of all persons on the job site. He or She will ensure a safe work environment is promoted through the Safety Committee, Toolbox meetings, Safety Orientations and periodic inspections of the work area to ensure correct procedures are followed.
- Support the Superintendent on-site throughout the construction phase.
- Promote a culture of job site safety.
- Demonstrate an active, visible and professional safety leadership role at all times
- Responsible in regularly monitoring health, safety & environment compliance of workers and sub-contractors.
- Read/Understand the CG Safety Manual, responsible in keeping manuals up-to-date.
- Responsible for the development of site-specific safe work practices and procedures.
- Work with project management teams and site workers to develop and implement solutions to safety related issues on project sites.
- Maintains ongoing correspondence with the relevant authorities in regard to all aspects of safety requirements.
- Conduct site-specific safety orientation and training for H&S matters and accident prevention.
- Prepare site safety plans, conduct hazard assessments, incident investigations and risk assessments, as required.
- Conduct health & safety meetings and toolbox talks.
- Monitor compliance to policies by inspecting employees and operations.
- Inspect equipment and machinery to identify and prevent possible unsafe conditions.
- Ensure that all accidents, incidents and injuries are properly reported to all appropriate parties.
- Maintain and prepare thorough documentation and reports.
- Set a good safety example.
- Administer first aid as necessary.
- Recommend solutions to issues, improvement opportunities or new prevention measures.
- Responsible and prepares report on health and safety awareness, issues and statistics.
- Assist with labour duties and site maintenance.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience
Minimum of five (5) years’ of field safety experience within a construction environment. CSO Certification required, Minimum First Aid Level 2 (Level 3 preferable), Experience on large projects required.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent interpersonal, skills and ability to influence others.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong problem solving, organizational skills with attention to detail.
- Strong with MS Office and G-Suite.
- Good knowledge of WorkSafeBC regulations, policies, guidelines and standards.
- Adaptable, and able to use good judgement and manage unexpected.
- Demonstrated ability to build trusted and valued business partnerships that enable collaborative and decision-oriented working relationships.
- Proactive in identifying hazards and implementing corrective measures to ensure that health & safety standards are being met on site.
- Proven ability to interpret, evaluate and apply laws, regulations, policies and procedures to a wide variety of work situations.
Join a team of enthusiastic, passionate and committed employees, seeking challenge…just like you!
Tap below to access our application system.